RE: newbie question on sorting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26456] RE: [mg26420] newbie question on sorting
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:51:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Niels,

Actually Mathematica will lexicographically sort the rows of a matrix. So
the rows will be sorted first of the first column, then in case of ties on
the second column, then on the third column etc.

mat = {{3, 2, 1}, {2, -1, 5}, {2, -1, 3}, {-2, 0, 0}};

Sort[mat]

If you want to sort only on the first column, and leave other columns
unsorted you could specify a specific sorting function using a pure
function:

Sort[mat, First[#1] <= First[#2] &]

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net