Re: Bracket Trouble with IT Keyb.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21964] Re: [mg21956] Bracket Trouble with IT Keyb.
  • From: Bojan Bistrovic <bojanb at physics.odu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 03:02:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Hello,
> I have this problem with Math 4.0 . ( under  Win 98 )
>
> If I type
> Plot[ ...... etc.....
> the software beeps and looking at "Why the beep" I get :
>
> "You used a Command or Control key that is not defined
>  to do anything " .
>
> But if I copy the Brackets from the characters map all is good
> and nothing beeps .
>
> So the trouble is ( I think ) in the control sequence I use
> to get the brackets that is  : " Alt + Shift + e' " or " Ctrl + Alt + e' " .
>
> Now I do not know what to do .
> Does anyone has an  Idea on solving this ?
>
> ( If I it can help : This never occurred using Mathematica 3.0 ,
>   that is installed on the same PC yet )
>
> ( I hope you will forgive my probably mistake-full english : )  )
>
> Thank you .
> Bye.

The problem is probably this: on US keyboards braces like "[" or "{" are
placed above the "enter" key; most European keyboards use those keys for
language-specific characters like characters with accents or umlauts or
something else and put those braces on bizarre places like (Alt-Gr)-W or
something similar (Alt-Gr is the Alt on the right to the space bar). Now,
Mathematica uses combinations Alt-something and Ctrl-something as keyboard
shortcuts so when you try to enter "[" character, front end "sees" that you
have pressed Alt key and assumes that you WANTED some kbd-shortcut, so it
tries to interpret it as a kdb-shortcut (command) and fails. Try changing
your keyboard to US-type and the problem should disappeaar.

Bye, Bojan

Bojan Bistrovic,                       bojanb at physics.odu.edu
Old Dominion University, Physics Department,      Norfolk, VA