PolarPlot and PlotRange

I have two questions, one specific and one general.

In specific, I tried to use the PlotRange function
with PolarPlot, but instead of clipping the plot to a
circle, as I expected it would, it clipped the plot to
a horizontal band. How would I create that effect?

In general, how can I "open up" functions so that I
can modify how they work? (and not have to ask stupid
questions) Are they mostly written in Mathematica?
(Some, at least, have to be in a lower-level
language.)

Thanks,
Johnicholas