Re: Out of memory problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22341] Re: Out of memory problem
  • From: Harald Giese <giese at>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:13:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Biao Wu wrote:
> Hi, friends:
>    I'm using Mathematica 3.0 on Windows98. Now Math keeps telling
> me "out of memory, existing". So I started using `MemoryConserve`,
> and checking how much memory I was using before this message.
> It was just around 1.3Mb, and my RAM is 128Mb! So there is
> no shortage of memory. (Of course, I keep as few program running
> as possible while using Math.)
>    Another interesting point to note is that, I tried the same
> program on my Department's Linux machine, and I never got "out
> of memory" message. So what is the problem? Is there any way to
> handle this?

Hi Biao,

You need a fixed MathKernel from

See the FAQ page
"How do I fix Out of memory errors on a calculation which shouldn't run
out of memory?"

Harald Giese
Email: giese at
Phone: +49 (0)40 42838 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724
Institut fuer Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg
(Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg)
Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg