Creation of file.m

Recently I found from this group how to create file.m from file.nb if
I didn't do it initially.  I thought the method was to select the
notebook and use Format/Options to set
NotebookOptions/FileOptions/AutoGeneratedPackage to Automatic.  I
think this is what worked for me last week.  Now in a similar
notebook having initialization cells this does not work.  When set
AutoGeneratedPackage to Automatic,  Evaluate Initialization and save
the notebook, no file.m appears.  What have I forgotten?

By the way, why can we access the apparently same info through
Edit/Preferences and Format/Options?

Thanks, Bill Marks