Re: Eigensystem applied to a unitary matrix crashes Mathematica 4.

John A. Sidles <sidles at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Eigensystem[] documentation might reasonably be revised to
> be a little more forthcoming about these behaviors, which

Is this a problem only when the matrix is (near) degenerate?
Or, more precisely, if the eigenvalues are different by many
significant digits, can I be sure then that Eigensystem[] will
return orthogonal vectors?

> over the years have taken so many users by surprise.

And it is only to avoid any more surprises that I try to find
out what the exact behavior is.

-- Jos