Re: Eigensystem applied to a unitary matrix crashes Mathematica 4.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg21384] Re: Eigensystem applied to a unitary matrix crashes Mathematica 4.
- From: Jos Bergervoet <bergervo at iaehv.iae.nl>
- Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 20:54:43 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Internet Access Eindhoven, the Netherlands
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
John A. Sidles <sidles at u.washington.edu> wrote: > ... > Eigensystem documentation might reasonably be revised to > be a little more forthcoming about these behaviors, which > ... Is this a problem only when the matrix is (near) degenerate? Or, more precisely, if the eigenvalues are different by many significant digits, can I be sure then that Eigensystem will return orthogonal vectors? > over the years have taken so many users by surprise. And it is only to avoid any more surprises that I try to find out what the exact behavior is. -- Jos