Fast Fourier Transforms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21572] Fast Fourier Transforms
  • From: "Burton" <Ctheurer at ecs.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 02:04:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
    I am doing some analysis of acoustic data obtained from a pickup located
on a machine.  The data is in the form of ordered pairs i.e. Time and
voltage.  As far as I know fft in Mathematica only operates on a list of
single numbers.  I have imported the voltage data (since the time is simply
incremental) and performed an fft on that successfully.  My problem lays in
interpreting this data.  I don't understand how to scale the x-axis of the
fft plot to represent frequency.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Charles Burton Theurer