Q: How to clear variables?

If I run a Mathematica 3.0 notebook, and forget to define a variable I
subsequently use, Mathematica will grab the last value for that
variable, if it exists, even from another program, during the current
session.

Is there a line, or lines, of code I can place at the start of a
notebook that says to forget all values, both numerica and symbolic, of
all variables?

Ed McBride, P.E.