Malfunction of Position or where am I wrong?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24250] Malfunction of Position or where am I wrong?
  • From: d8442803 at student.nsysu.edu.tw (Wen-Feng Hsiao)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:22:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear listers,

I try to use Position to obtain the positions for a lower or upper
triangular elements of a matrix. The codes below do not work correctly.

<< DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`
tst = Table[Range[i + 70, i + 72] , {i, 35}];
(fullranktst = Outer[List, tst, tst, 1, 1]) // Dimensions
(parsimtst = KSubsets[tst, 2]) // Dimensions
Position[fullranktst, #] & /@ parsimtst

However, when I modify the last line to inspect the first three elements:

Position[fullranktst, #] & /@ parsimtst[[{1, 2, 3}]]

, it outputs the correct answer. Why? Where am I missing?

Wen-Feng