- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg24269] Findminimum Question
- From: ayyer at my-deja.com
- Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:10:52 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, I was wondering if I could know the principle on which Mathematica uses the FindMinimum function. I mean, does it use a common algorithm ( like the Golden Search Algorithm) for all functions or does it analyse the functions by some of their specific properties, like continuity, differentiability, or shallow/deep regions and the like. I needed to know this to find out the error bars for the function i am using. In case it is important, i am just minimising a sum of squares of a function to find the best fit. Thanks in advance, Ayyer Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.