Re: Findminimum Question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24298] Re: Findminimum Question
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 00:11:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The appendix of The Mathematica Book A 9.4

With Method->Automatic, FindMinimum uses various methods due to Brent:
the conjugate gradient in one dimension, and a modification of Powell's
method in several dimensions.

If the function to be minimized is a sum of squares, FindMinimum uses
the Levenberg-Marquardt method (Method->LevenbergMarquardt).

With Method->Newton FindMinimum uses Newton's method. With
Method->QuasiNewton FindMinimum uses the BFGS version of the
quasi-Newton method.

But you may have a look into the Statistics`NonlinearFit` standard
It can calculate the errors for you.