List of symbols
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg24382] List of symbols
- From: sch at mitre.org (Stu Schaffner)
- Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:13:22 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: The MITRE Corporation
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I at times use a command of the form ?pattern; to see what symbols have been defined, especially by a << operation to read in data. Usually this works well, but sometimes for no apparent special reason this command first lists the symbol names and then their values. Since I am looking for symbols whose values are very large data sets, this locks up the notebook process as it tries to format the data set. I have three questions. First, is there a better way to generate a list of all symbols that match a pattern? Second, why does ? sometimes print the symbol values and other times not print them? Third, is there any way on MS Windows other than CTRL+ALT+DEL to convince a Mathematica front end process that you really don't want to see the 500 pages of numbers it is patiently formatting for you? Stu Schaffner, the MITRE Corp.