ExponentFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24451] ExponentFunction
  • From: "Greg Keogh" <greg at mira.net>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:58:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello from Melbourne Australia,

After searching the V4 help for about 15 solid minutes I eventually found a
way of printing approximate real numbers in "plain" form without exponents.
This works okay:

ExponentFunction -> (If[Abs[#] < 100, Null, #] &)

However, if I take a blanket approach without the pure function and use:

ExponentFunction -> (Null)

Then I get

NumberForm::expint: Result Null[12] obtained by applying the value of the
ExponentFunction option to 12 should be an integer or Null.

Can someome explain why my attempt to use Null is being rejected? What's the
correct way?

Cheers,
Greg Keogh

---------
Ps. I just thought of another quick question I'd like to throw in while I'm
in the newsreader: I'm having trouble composing an elegant functional way of
converting the results of FactorInteger into a form where all the factors
(with multiples) are strung together dot separated (example
2.2.2.3.3.43.1181). Any ideas?