Re: External programs, notebook interface

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24568] Re: External programs, notebook interface
  • From: "John M. Jowett" <John.Jowett at>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:56:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I find the following syntax useful.  It returns the output of the Unix
command in a list of strings (often a useful starting point for further
manipulation of the information)

ReadList["!ls -l",String]

One way to just display the command output in the notebook interface is

ReadList["!ls -l",String]//TableForm

John Jowett

Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:

> Brief question:
> Using the text based interface, !ls, or !date or other various Unix
> shell-escapes work just fine.  In the notebook FrontEnd, however,
> they do not.
> This is the output I get:
> Syntax::sntx:
>    Syntax error in or before "Thu Jul 13 10:03:59 CDT 2000".
>                                             ^
>      (line 1 of "!date")
> If I run various configurations of Run["command"], it works but doesn't
> echo the output (which is I as I would expect.)
> RunThrough["command", expr] doesn't work the way I want either.

My home page: