Re: Can Mathematica 4 do this?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24529] Re: [mg24503] Can Mathematica 4 do this?
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hyun Go wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to solve a system of 8 equations with 8
> unknowns using Solve --by simply making them into a
> system of simultaneous equation and let Solve run.
> However, the calculation's been running for more than
> 40 mins so far and I'm still waiting (I have set
> $RecursionLimit = 2000).
> All 8 equations in the system are non-linear; Should I
> stop trying it with Mathematica, or is there any
> command more appropriate in dealing with non-linear
> equations?
> Thanks,
> Hyun

If they are polynomial then you might have a chance with NSolve. This
depends heavily on the degrees and the total number of solutions, among
other things.

If they are not polynomial, your best bet is to try for individual
solutions using FindRoot, giving your best guess for starting points.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research