User problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23971] User problem
  • From: joseph <joseph468 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:00:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Can anyone help:
I am trying to contstruct a table of random integers
between 1 and 4. I'd like to vary the number of
elements in the table from time to time. The
contruction that I use in Mathematica is as follows:

genome = Table[i = Random[Integer, {1, 4}], {i, 249}]

The problem with this is as follows: the above
generates tables of varying length up to and including
249 elements.  However, when I try to generate any
table containing more than 249 elements, I get the
following error message on my screen:

This program has performed an illegal operation and
will be shut down.  If the problem persists please
contact the vendor.

I have version 4 of Mathematica, and am running it on
a Windows98 platform (Dell NoteBook)

Joseph468 at yahoo.com