Re: Referencing Equations by Number

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23988] Re: Referencing Equations by Number
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

You need to be using a style sheet that includes the style, NumberedEquation
(eg Classic ). Though you can add this to your own version of Default.
Proceed as follows:

- give the cell containing the equation a tag, say eqnX,
(menu>Find>Add/Remove CellTags).

Then when inserting the automatic numbering object (menu>Input>Create
Automatic Numbering Object)

- choose Numbered Equation for the upper right (Counter Type) field
- click the radio button "The first cell with the tag"
- click eqnX in the bottom field
- click OK

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
Leicester UK
hay at
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565

"Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at> wrote in message
news:8ihu2j$l9q at
> I use Mathematica 4.0 to generate notes for my courses in physics.
However, when I