Re: show steps in simplify command?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg24033] Re: [mg24032] show steps in simplify command?
- From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
- Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:19:57 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
on 6/20/00 4:07 PM, Scott at sbw_SPAMSUCKS_ at rice.edu wrote: > Hi all, > > Does anyone out there know a way to get Mathematica to show its steps in > the Simplify command? > > Any help is greatly appreciated. Please reply to > sbw_SPAMSUCKS_ at rice.edu (remove the _SPAMSUCKS_, of course). > > Only up to a point. You can force Mathematica to show you the forms it considers during simplification. For example evaluate Simplify[(1 - x^2)^2/(1 - x^4), ComplexityFunction -> ((Print[#]; LeafCount[#]) &)] I can't see how to do this using the default setting for the ComplexityFunction (Automatic) but it only affects the final choice, not the cases which Mathematica considers. -- Andrzej Kozlowski Toyama International University, JAPAN For Mathematica related links and resources try: <http://www.sstreams.com/Mathematica/>