Re: show steps in simplify command?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24033] Re: [mg24032] show steps in simplify command?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:19:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

on 6/20/00 4:07 PM, Scott at sbw_SPAMSUCKS_ at wrote:

> Hi all,
> Does anyone out there know a way to get Mathematica to show its steps in
> the Simplify command?
> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please reply to
> sbw_SPAMSUCKS_ at (remove the _SPAMSUCKS_, of course).
Only up to a point. You can force Mathematica to show you the forms it
considers during simplification. For example evaluate

Simplify[(1 - x^2)^2/(1 - x^4),
  ComplexityFunction -> ((Print[#]; LeafCount[#]) &)]

I can't see how to do this using the default setting for the
ComplexityFunction (Automatic) but it only affects the final choice, not the
cases which Mathematica considers.
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University, JAPAN

For Mathematica related links and resources try: