Re: Piecewise functions definition and usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24138] Re: Piecewise functions definition and usage
  • From: "Seth Chandler" <SChandler at uh.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:11:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Two suggestions: First, for the numerical integration of your existing
function, you might try

NIntegrate[f[x],{x,-1,17},Method->MonteCarlo]

which performs the numerical integration using a different approach.

Second, you might redefine your function using the extremely handy UnitStep
function.

g[x_]:=UnitStep[x + 7]Sqrt[ 1 - ( (x - 3)/10)^2 ] +
  UnitStep[x - 13](-Sqrt[ 1 - ( (x - 3)/10)^2 ]);

This function is identical to f[x]. You can now integrate g[x] symbolically.

Seth J. Chandler
Associate Professor of Law
University of Houston Law Center

news:8j9ddk$50v at smc.vnet.net...