File save locations - Mac

I have not been able to figure out how to write a file while in
Mathematica on the Mac to the active folder.  If I double-click
on a Mathematica 4.0 notebook in a folder, perform some calculations,
then output some data to a file, that file is always the main
Mathematica folder.  I would like the output to default to the
current folder (in Unix, Mathematica will output to the current directory).
Is there a simple option for this?

Thanks,
Bruce