  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24157] FactorInteger (Mathematica 4)
  • From: "Matt Herman" <Henayni at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I read in the Mathematica book that " FactorInteger switches between
removing small primes by trial division and using the Pollard p-1,
Pollard rho and continued fraction algorithm. "
Why would FactorInteger use p-1,rho and cfrac, when MPQS and NFS are
much faster? Is it that CFRAC, P-1 and rho are easier to implement, and
the "cost" of implementing MPQS or NFS is so great that it isn't worth
it? Perhaps we'll have an add-on package for MPQS (like we do for ECM).

Matt