Re: Continuous Wavelet Transform?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22478] Re: Continuous Wavelet Transform?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 02:22:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mark Kotanchek wrote:

> I have Wavelet Explorer; however, it lacks a continuous wavelet transform
> which would be handy to visually study the subtleties of my data. Before I
> start down the path of writing one myself, I figured I'd check to see if one
> had already been developed out there in cyberspace.

Since the CWT involves integration, why not use Integrate or NIntegrate
directly?

> It appears there isn't much in the way of interest in the Mathematica
> community on wavelets & applications; is that a correct assumption? If not,
> where should I be looking?

There is some interest. See, e.g.,

    Mark Maslen 1997 Wavelet Transforms via Lifting
    Alistair Rowe 1994 Applications of Wavelets
    Maslen M and Abbott P C 1999 Automation of the Lifting Factorisation of
Wavelet Transforms,
        Computer Physics Communications, in press
    Rowe A and Abbott P C 1995 Daubechies Wavelets and Mathematica,
        Computers in Physics 9 635-48

at http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul/publications.html.  There are also some
Mathematica postings on the Wavelet Digest <http://www.wavelet.org/>.

> Finally, for those of you who wish the PhaseSpacePlot[] function were in
> color rather than grayscale, copying the function out of the Wavelet
> Explorer package into a PhaseSpacePlotColor[] function and adding
> "ColorFunction -> ( Hue[0.667(#)] &)" as options within the two Raster[]
> functions, will generate visuals that are much more presentable.
> Unfortunately, the bug in Raster[] on non-logarithmic scales remains. :-(

I've Cc:d this to the Wavelet Explorer developer, Yu He <yu at wolfram.com>.

Cheers,
    Paul