COMPLEXEXPAND

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22564] COMPLEXEXPAND
  • From: Blimbaum Jerry DLPC <BlimbaumJE at ncsc.navy.mil>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:52:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

	I am trying to get some results expressed in the form   Abs[x] Exp[I
theta].

	So, if I type in
ComplexExpand[z,{z},TargetFunctions->{Abs,Arg}]//TrigToExp         I get
Abs[z] Exp[I Arg[z]] which is what I want,

	but if I type in ComplexExpand[x+ I y, TargetFunctions->{Abs,
Arg}]//TrigToExp  I just get back  x + I y.

	Would someone explain this to me.  I was expecting the output
Sqrt[x^2+y^2]  Exp[I ArcTan[x,y]]

	Since my results are in the form x + I y, the Mathematica output
doesnt do me any good.

	thanks.  jerry blimbaum