Re: Hydrogen atom modelling for P-Chem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22806] Re: Hydrogen atom modelling for P-Chem
  • From: loki at midway.uchicago.edu (david raoul derbes)
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:01:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8an1e2$1rd at smc.vnet.net>,
David Reiss <dreiss at NOSPAMscientificarts.com> wrote:
>In article <8aej99$39u at smc.vnet.net>, DRL <l88vette at primenet.com> wrote:
>
>> I am currently taking Physical Chemistry/Quantum Mechanics at Austin
>> College in Sherman, TX.  We are studying the Schrodinger Wave Equation
>> and its applications to modeling of the hydrogen atom.  A search of the
>> Mathematica table of contents didn't turn up any match and I was curious
>> if anyone else had used Mathematica for some specific applications
>> related to the hydrogen atom.
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Brett
>
>Take a look at
>
>http://www.scientificarts.com/wavefunctions/hwavefunctions.html
>
>though I don't know whether this is the sort of thing
>that you are looking for.
>
>Cheers,
>
>David

If it is the graphs of the j, l, m probability distributions for a
fixed n, that's pretty straightforward. It was the first thing I
ever did in Mathematica, nearly ten years ago. You will want the
graphs of the squares of the relevant spherical harmonics (actually,
the azimuthal pieces go away; they are just exp(i m phi), and are
lost in the absolute value squared.) I don't know v.4 well enough,
but I'll bet that the Legendre polynomials are in there already,
so what you need are abs(P(l, cos theta))^2.

These are the standard graphs such as one finds in quantum mechanics
books, e.g. R. Leighton, Principles of Modern Physics.

David Derbes [loki at midway.uchicago.edu]