Re: Exporting formulae as GIFs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22809] Re: Exporting formulae as GIFs
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:01:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for the pointer. I was hoping for something more specific if
possible. In preparing a series of manuscripts for publication, I've been
exporting formulae as "EPS" format (or EPSTIFF) and then inserting  them
into a Word (or TeX) document. This works very well for the postscript
output, as the eps files look exactly like what's on the screen (the TIFF
previews are often weirdly trucated though). When I save individual formulae
as bitmaps (Save Selection As Bitmap), I also get images that are true to
what I see in the notebook in terms of line breaks.  Unfortunately, the
72dpi resolution is not very legible and I haven't been able to increase the
resolution, perhaps because I haven't yet found the correct options to
adjust the bitmap resolution for the menu command. While the eps output is
lovely for publication purposes, I would like to do the same with bitmap or
gif images, mostly so that I can pass the manuscript past my co-authors in
electronic form (a step that necessarily comes before sharing it with
publishers :)

The problem is that the exported images don't bear much relationship to
what's on the screen in the Mathematica notebook. When I export them the way you
recommend, line breaks are inserted about half way across the page. In the
Option Inspector, I have tried adjusting PageWidth , LinebreakWithin, and
"PageWidth" (ExportTypesetOptions) options. I've even tried experimenting
with the penalty function in LinebreakAdjustments and specifying different
values for ImageSize, without much luck. The same thing happens in 640 x
480, 800 x 600 etc. screen modes

It's only a minor problem, I know, since the postscript output works well.
Still, there must be a simpler alternative than the suggestion from WRI
technical support to oblige my colleagues to download MathReader or hunt
down a postscript printer just to be able to print a legible copy of a
manuscript that will inevitably undergo many revisions.

Thanks again for this and ther good advice.

A. Sharma
Atul Sharma MD, FRCP(C)
Pediatric Nephrologist,
McGill University/Montreal Children's Hospital

P.J. Hinton wrote in message <8bhvgh$no0 at smc.vnet.net>...
>In article <8bfepj$iec at smc.vnet.net>,
> "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> When I stumbled across this in the archive, I was delighted.
Unfortunately,
>> I had no luck using it.
>> And since I have no idea what this code is doing (or why the number of
>> seconds since Jan. 1, 1901 would even be called as part of a window size
>> routine!!), I thought I would ask if anyone else had better luck with it?
Or