Import command 100 times slower than ReadList  ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg23439] Import command 100 times slower than ReadList  ?
- From: "Krautschik, Chris G" <krautschikc at intel.co.jp>
- Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:32:21 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Manny thanks to all of you who helped me get my previous data matrix problem
solved ( Allan Hayes, Bob Hanlon, and Mark Harder).
I have been using the Import command to import various 2-D data matrices.
For a 513x122 data matrix text file I use the following command:
This task takes 117 seconds to complete (as timed by Timing).
When I use ReadList:
inFile = OpenRead["xyFile.txt"];
xyData = ReadList[ inFile, Number, RecordLists -> True];
This task only takes 1.26 seconds.
Why the huge performance difference? I would prefer to use the Import
command since it is so easy to use but find it too slow for my uses.
Prev by Date:
Re: Difficult integral
Next by Date:
Re: matrices, dot products and convergents ofcontinued fractions
Previous by thread:
Next by thread:
Re: Import command 100 times slower than ReadList  ?