Import[] command 100 times slower than ReadList [] ?

Hi Mathgroup,

Manny thanks to all of you who helped me get my previous data matrix problem
solved ( Allan Hayes, Bob Hanlon, and Mark Harder).

I have been using the Import command to import various 2-D data matrices.
For a 513x122 data matrix text file I use the following command:

xyData=Import["xyFile.txt","Table"]

This task takes 117 seconds to complete (as timed by Timing[]).

When I use ReadList:

inFile = OpenRead["xyFile.txt"];
xyData = ReadList[ inFile, Number, RecordLists -> True];
Close[inFile];

This task only takes 1.26 seconds.

Why the huge performance difference?  I would prefer to use the Import
command since it is so easy to use but find it too slow for my uses.

thanks,
Chris