How to grid ungridded data

Hi there,

(I suppose this is a common problem for everyone who want to handle
experimental data...)

Well I want to find an efficient (and especially fast) way to grid data, and
then to apply splines or fits, etc.

For example imagine importing temperatures from weather stations all around
a country, and you want to plot contours, (like the fancy charts on TV
weather bulletins). So far I know that Mathematica (we are talking for
version 3.0 here) can plot contours for gridded data.

I made a first attempt with triangulation but it's sooooooo slow...

Thanks!

Manolis Petrakis
University of Crete, Greece
Physics Dept.