[TS 3227] ListInterpolation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23467] [TS 3227] ListInterpolation
  • From: Kurt Taretto <Kurt.Taretto at ipe.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 00:54:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm using ListInterpolation to get functions that smoothly describe my
data.  So the resulting plots are smooth lines that transverse my noisy
data.  When I try to plot the derivative of this functions, I get very
sharp zig-zags (that I could also get deriving numerically my data).
Mathematica is making an interpolation between my points, and since my
points are noisy distributed, y also get the noise in the derivative.
That's ok, but why do I get smooth plots that cross my data, say, at a
"mean noise value".  I cannot use NonLinearFit because the functions I
need should be case sensitive and I have a large number of data sets, so
choosing a fitting function every time could be extremely tedious.  I'm
sure there's a way out of this, if someone could help me, I'd appreciate
any help.

Thanks!