Re: Dirichlet function plot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23575] Re: [mg23552] Dirichlet function plot
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:44:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

This is of course a somewhat different matter. One can define a reasonable
"simulation" of this function and in principle plot its graph but I think it
will be  hard to see anything interesting. The definition is simple enough:

f[x_] := If[IntegerQ[Numerator[Rationalize[N[x]]]],
    Denominator[Rationalize[x]], 0]

f is a good approximation to what you want:

Unfortunately it is hard to get a meaningful graph. You could try using
ListPlot and do something like:

l1 = Table[{x, f[x]}, {x, 3.0, Pi + 0.1, 0.001}];

l2 = Table[{x, f[x]}, {x, Pi - 0.14, Pi + 0.1, 0.001}];

ListPlot[Union[l1, l2]]

But the result does not seem t me to be very instructive. In principle I
think what I wrote in my first reply still holds and I do not think
computers are suitable tools for investigating this sort of phenomena.