Re: Transforming Mathematica Notebooks into Pdf format with Acrobat Distiller

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23611] Re: Transforming Mathematica Notebooks into Pdf format with Acrobat Distiller
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 02:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am not an expert, but the system works very well for
me. The key, I think, it to ensure that Distiller
knows where the Mathematica type 1 fonts are located.
Open the Distiller application (I'm using version
4.05). The menu <Settings> has an item font
locations.This should already contain the Adobe
Postscript fonts <..Acrobat4.0:Resource:Font>. You
must add the location of the Mathematica type 1
postscript fonts here. In the default Mathematica
installation, they are in <...SystemFiles:Fonts:Type
1>. Again in the settings menu, select JobOptions:
Fonts, and make sure that the Math fonts are in the
list of accessible fonts.This list should include Base
14 (built in Acrobat fonts), TrueType fonts, the Adobe
postscript fonts, and the Mathematica type 1 fonts. I
don't think it's essential, but I added all the Math
fonts to the list <always embed these fonts>. You must
also go the printer folder and select the Acrobat
Distiller driver and bring up the properties window.
Under the fonts tab, you will see a button labeled
<Send Fonts As>. Make sure that postscript fonts are
sent in <Native format> and true type fonts are sent
as <Type 42>. You can also edit the font substitution
table to use postscript fonts (built into your
printer, if any) in place of true type fonts. All
other true type fonts should be sent as type 42, or
they will be bitmapped and look hideous on screen.I
have a limited selection of built in postscript
fonts,and I prefer using the type 42 postscript fonts,
since they appear exactly as they do on screen. Please
note that WRI has handicapped their true type fonts so
that they cannot be embedded, so you must point
distiller at the type 1 postscript version.  If this
doesn't work, please write back and I'll see if I can
remember anything else I did.

Good luck.

Atul

Atul Sharma MD, FRCP(C)
Pediatric Nephrologist,
McGill University/Montreal Children's Hospital