Transforming Mathematica Notebooks into Pdf format with Acrobat Distiller

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23569] Transforming Mathematica Notebooks into Pdf format with Acrobat Distiller
  • From: "Andreas Papandreou" <a-papa at uom.gr>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:44:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup,

I want to transform an entire mathematica notebook into pdf format. I have
Adobe Distiller but I am not an advanced user. I managed to preserve fonts
of mathematica by printing to file using printer pdfdistiller and setting
fonts to Encapsulated Post Script. The problem is that it will only print
one page at a time. After I can distil each page and eventually rebuild the
document in pdf form by dragging and dropping each page into a pdf document.
This procedure is not only cumbersome but it also means (I think) that the
size of the pdf file gets quite large as the fonts are embedded in each
page.

When I printed to file setting font to "optimised for speed" (instead of
Encapsulated Post Script) I lose some of the equation fonts. The only other
thing that I tried with partial success is to print to file with a post
script printer like apple laser writer 12/600 then open it in ghostview and
then print to file with pdfwriter. This gives me a pdf file with some
mistakes and less clarity.

I also tried to combine several prn (or ps) files by following two
procedures that Adobe Distiller provides (in order to avoid embedding the
Type 1 fonts in every page) but without success (only the first page
appeared ok, the rest were garbled).

I would greatly appreciate your help on using adobe distiller effectively.

Thanks.

Andreas Papandreou   mailto:a-papa at uom.gr <mailto:a-papa at uom.gr>

Assistant Professor
156 Egnatia Street