Newbie Q: Referencing Auto-number Cells

In preparaing a paper for publication, I find that making automatically
(re)numbering things like equations and figures easy since some of the
built-in stylesheets are already set up to do this.

However, how do I make references (sometimes called cross-references or
citations) within ordinary text to equations and figures that are
automatically (re)numbered? In other words, I want to write

    ...see Equation (6).

and when Equation 6 becomes Equation 7 because I inserted another
equation in ahead of it, I want the above reference to automaticaaly read

    ...see Equation (7).

Many thanks.