Re: Command to get a notebook's directory?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23641] Re: [mg22927] Command to get a notebook's directory?
  • From: Martin Stockhammer <martin.stockhammer at>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 23:08:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Jordan,

Jordan Rosenthal schrieb:
> Adalbert/John,
> Thanks to both of you for your reply.   Between the time I wrote my message
> and the time you replied I also (after quite a bit of time!) came up with
> the following
>   ToFileName[ NotebookDirectory /. Options[$FrontEnd,
> NotebookDirectory][[1]] ]
> Since you both used the NotebookInformation[] function, I am wondering if
> there is any reason my approach may be buggy.  Is there any hidden problems
> in doing it my way?

This gives the directory where new notebooks are saved and that you will
see first, in
the File-Browser, if you want to open a new notebook.

If you have several notebooks open, where each lies in a different
directory, your solution
gives the directory of the last opened or saved notebook and not the
notebook which
is currently used for evaluation.

Martin Stockhammer
Visual Analysis GmbH