Re: strange behaviour of Export["",,JPEG]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25923] Re: strange behaviour of Export["",,JPEG]
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 03:04:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

it is the desired behaviour. Because loading a MathLink
program take time and typical one write more than a single
image. If you export HTML GIF.exe ist is called
several hundred times, installing/and loading the program
whould take to long.

Second and more important. The Mathematica code that call
the MathLink functions has  no possibility fo find out
if a previously called MathLink program ist terminated.
(OK there are some tricks) but testing in every function
if the MathLink program is still alive whould waste additional time.

You can still use Uninstall[] to terminate the MathLink programs.

These programs need only CPU time when they work, otherwise
the presence of the MathLink Programm can not detected in
time measurements.

It is up to your operating system what it does with "sleeping"
processes. They rest in peace in the swap file and may grow
your swap by some kByte -- is this realy so hard ?

Regards
  Jens