Re: Two problems with Mathematica 4 on G4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26015] Re: [mg25957] Two problems with Mathematica 4 on G4
  • From: Gareth Russell <russell at cerc.columbia.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:43:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> I have two disturbing problems with Mathematica 4.0 under Mac OS 9.0.4
>
> 1. The background to Text primitives in 2D graphics is always white, extending to the
> right edge of the whole picture. Especially, the help browser example (S.2.9.16)
>
> Show[Graphics[{{GrayLevel[0.5], Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1, 1}]},
>       Text["Some text", {0.5, 0.5}]}]]
>
> does not work as advertised when I evaluate it. A problem with Mac Postscript
> interpreter or what? If so, is there any way around? I need text fields with transparent
> backgrounds. (S.2.9.16 says: "By default the text is just put straight on top of
> whatever graphics have already been drawn." )
>
> 2. Images pasted to notebooks from the clipboard disappear when the notebook is
> transferred to Windows. Typically, I copy from Photoshop. What cause, any workaround?

Dear Erkki,

I too run Mathematica in Mac OS 9.0.4, but I don't have the problem you describe with non-transparent text. My hardware is a PowerBook G3, and I haven't used Mathematica on a G4. I'm not sure what to suggest. This might be one for Wolfram support.

As for the images problem, when you cut and paste on a Mac in any software, the usual format for the pasted object is a PICT, which is a Mac-based image format. My guess is that Mathematica for Windows can't handle PICTs (although Windows graphics programs usually can).

On the Mac, there are options under the Cell menu to change the format of the image, and one option is Bitmap, which I believe is a PC-compatible format. Try changing  the image format before you send it.

Gareth

Dr. Gareth J. Russell

University of Tennessee

Current phone: (716) 223 2713