Complex Function Plot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg25541] Complex Function Plot
  • From: Roberto Brambilla <rlbrambilla at>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 03:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi, dear MG-friends

I have often to plot the real and the imaginary part
of a complex valued function of a real variable : f(t).
The obvious solution is

and the function is evaluated two times for each value of t.
In the case of a long-time-eating function (as in the case
of series expansions with hypergeometric f.,integrals with
parameters,etc) it would be suitable a trick to evaluate
f[t] only once.
I'd like also to avoid to use interpolation like

since it requires the optimum choice of n, mr and mi
for each (t1,t2) interval, especially if the two parts
oscillate with very different periods.

I use Math. version 3.0 .
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Bye, Rob

Roberto Brambilla
Via Rubattino 54
20134 Milano