Re: Importing a .gif into a new notebook

At 03:36 AM 10/7/2000 -0400, Ken Levasseur-UML wrote:
>I'm having trouble doing the following:   Given the file name of a gif file,
>import the image, create a new notebook and paste the image into the notebook.
>I have no trouble importing the image and showing it through the sequence
>
>afile="some.gif"
>img=Import[afile, "GIF"]
>Show[img]
>
>It's a Raster image, but that's ok.
>I had expected that, I could do this: to do essentially the same thing:
>
>temp=NotebookPut[Notebook[{}]];
>NotebookWrite[temp, Import[afile, "GIF"]]
>
>But I keep getting cells with error boxes containing the Raster data.   I've
>tried several other variations, but with no success.   Anyone know the correct
>method?
>
>Ken Levasseur

In order for this to work correctly, you'd need to send up a correct Cell[]
expression with PostScript.  Here's how you could do so...

nb = NotebookCreate[]
g = Import["some.gif"]
NotebookWrite[nb, Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript", ExportString[g, "MPS"]]]]

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group