How to Import Numbers with + in the Exponential?

I generate data in my C programs and write it to a file using  %e
format in many of my programs.  This leads to numbers like  1.2e-01 and
3.6e+02.  When I use Import[] in Mathematica it handles the negative
exponents fine, but things like e+02 or e+00 are treated like strings.
How can I get Mathematica to recognize positive exponents as numbers?
If I go into each file and eliminate the "+" it does recognize things
as numbers, but I don't want to have to edit every data file put out in
my calculations.  I'm hoping there is a simple workaround, otherwise I
classify this behavior as a BAD 'feature'.  Help, anyone.  Thanks.