Bugs in Abs and Sign !?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg25674] Bugs in Abs and Sign !?
- From: Jack Goldberg <jackgold at umich.edu>
- Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:52:40 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi group. Try, Abs[x^2] /. Abs[u_] -> fnt[u] and Sign[x^2] /. Sign[u_] -> fnt[u] In each case I get fnt[x]^2. Shouldn't I get fnt[x^2]? After all, g[x^2] /. g[u_] -> fnt[u] returns fnt[x^2] which is what I have been led to expect from Mathematica. I am using ver 4.01 on a PowerMac. These peculiarities are driving me crazy. This is the fourth "bug" I have found in just 2 weeks. Please tell me I'm wrong. Thanks guys. Jack