Bugs in Abs and Sign !?

Hi group.

Try,

Abs[x^2] /. Abs[u_] -> fnt[u]

and

Sign[x^2] /. Sign[u_] -> fnt[u]

In each case I get  fnt[x]^2.  Shouldn't I get  fnt[x^2]? After all,
g[x^2] /. g[u_] -> fnt[u]  returns fnt[x^2] which is what I have been led
to expect from Mathematica.  I am using ver 4.01 on a PowerMac.

These peculiarities are driving me crazy.  This is the fourth "bug" I have
found in just 2 weeks.  Please tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks guys.

Jack