Linear system (symbolic, 10 vars): cannot handle

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg25838] Linear system (symbolic, 10 vars): cannot handle
  • From: Marco Beleggia <beleggia at>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 01:41:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I was wondering if somebody found the same problem. I have to solve a
symbolic linear system, with a dimensions which depends on the
complexity of the problem. If the number of variables is 2, 4, 6 or 8,
mathematica gives me the solution in a negligible time. As soon as I try
the 10 variables case (the number increases 2 by 2), mathematica seems
uncapable of dealing with it. Sometimes it ends the memory (I have
plenty) and sometimes it crash. Of course, the same happens for higher
number of variables, such as 12 or 14.

I tried with the MacOS and Win versions of Mathematica, and the problem
always occurs. So, it seems that there is something strange.

Anybody can help me? at the Wolfram website, tech support, I did not
receive any answer.