Re: Evaluate a string

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25162] Re: Evaluate a string
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 10 Sep 2000, Phlip wrote:

> The inner problem. In Perl, for example, you can evaluate a string back
> in thru the Perl parser:
>
>     my x = 0;
>     eval "x = 3";
>     assert (x == 3);
>
> I have a string containing Mathematica language code. How do I evaluate
> it as a Mathematica statement?

Use ToExpression[].

In[1]:= ToExpression["foo = 3"]

Out[1]= 3

In[2]:= ? foo
Global`foo

foo = 3

> Taking the code out of the string is not an option. (But I could
> conceivably write the string to a file, and then Load or Run this. But
> I can't find a Mathematica command to load a file and execute it.)

That would be the Get[] command, oftentimes abbreviated as the prefix
operator "<<".  The Run[] function tells the kernel to execute an external
operating system command (like system() in C).

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.