CellAutoDelete

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25159] CellAutoDelete
  • From: "Tom De Vries" <tdevries at shop.westworld.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:58:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everyone,

I am using some Mathematica programs to generate math tests for my classes.
They create questions and answers "randomly" so I can create different
versions of the same test to avoid students comparing answers.

I wonder if anyone could help with this small problem.  Since the tests are
created by Mathematica, the cells all have  the attribute
CellAutoOverwrite->True.   When a student tries to do a calculation in the
test file,  the cells below the calculation get deleted, or the output cell
ends up in a different place in the file than expected.

I tried selecting all the cells in the file and changing this cell attribute
to False, but when the student opens the file, it is changed back to True
again...!?  I have my file with all the cells set to
CellAutoOverwrite->False   and a student just sent me back their work and
all the cells are CellAutoOverwrite->True!!   Has anyone had any experience
with this, or could anyone suggest how to deal with this?    The low tech
solution has been to put a new text cell at the end of each question, and
calculations done above this work fine.

Sincerely,

Tom De Vries