Re: 1.11.5 Exporting Formulas from Notebooks

On 10 Sep 2000, Phlip wrote:

> How do you export a formula if you don't have a graphic front-end or a
> notebook?
>
> If you have a front end available, you can write:
>
>     Export["file.GIF", ToBoxes[/formula expr/], "GIF"]
>
> If you don't, you can still export something that returns a raster
> image:
>
>     Export["file.GIF", Plot[/graphable expr/], "GIF"]
>
> If there's no special function (like Display[/formula expression/]) I
> can put in the middle variable to convert a math expression to a nicely
> drawn math formula,

The kernel has no innate ability to generate the visual result of
rendering a Mathematica box structure.  To get such a bitmap, you must
have a front end present.

> is there someway I can tell MathLink (my conduit to the kernel) to
> grab the nearest graphical front end and have its way with it?

You can launch the front end in MathLink mode as a child process of the
kernel and then set $FrontEnd to point to the corresponding LinkObject[].

frontEndCommand[] :=
  Switch[
    $OperatingSystem,
    "Windows"|"WindowsNT",
    ToFileName[{$TopDirectory}, "Mathematica.exe"],
    "Unix",
    ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "Executables", $SystemID}, "Mathematica"],
    _,
    $Failed
  ]

$FrontEnd =
  FrontEndObject[LinkLaunch[frontEndCommand[] <> " -mathlink"]];

Export["testme.gif", ToBoxes[Expand[(x+y)^10]], "GIF"]

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.