Re: Re: Automatic expansion of Log[a^n] for a,n explicit positive integers?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg28236] Re: [mg28229] Re: [mg28180] Automatic expansion of Log[a^n] for a,n explicit positive integers?
- From: Harald Anlauf <anlauf at hep.tu-darmstadt.de>
- Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:52:46 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <Pine.LNX.email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, thanks for your suggestions and help! I also received a very clever and general solution by Erich Mueller <emuelle1 at uiuc.edu>: <quote> How about implementing the rule using pattern substitution, like this: Log + Log[x] /. Log[a_Integer] :> Plus @@ (#2Log[#1] & @@ # & /@ FactorInteger[a]) Which returns 2 Log + Log + Log[x] </quote> Mianlai's solution has its own advantages, as no explicit substitution is required. I may reconsider it when needed. Again, many thanks for your answers. Regards, -Harald