Exporting Graphics (Sizes and Fonts) (Again)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28330] Exporting Graphics (Sizes and Fonts) (Again)
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:01:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Appreciate getting a few things clarified about exporting graphics:

1)  If I create a graphic using AspectRatio->Automatic, ImageSize->5*72,
and PlotRange->{{0,10},{0,8}} and then export it to my HD as EPS,

*  The exported eps file should end up 5 inches by 4 inches, right?
    (In other words, ImageSize sets the width of the exported image,
    and the combination of AspectRatio and PlotRange will then
    determine the height?)

*  These dimensions are for the *bounding box* of the plot, right?

*  At the minute, however, my exported figures are coming out at
    4 by 3.2 inches.  This is likely is due to a scaling option in the
    default Style which I need to correct (and which has been
    noted on this group before), right?

2)  Also, I've used StyleForm[FontFamily->"Helvetica"} in creating the
graphics.  If I export the graphic using the "Save Selection as EPS"
menu in the front end, it saves just fine, with no error messages, and
opening it in Illustrator 7.0 shows that the text is indeed Helvetica.

However, if I export the file using the notebook command

      Display["MyFile",myGraphic,"EPS"]

I get the error message

      Display::pserr: PostScript language error:
      Warnin?nt Swiss721BT-Roman for Helvetica

Yet Illustrator says that all the text in the resulting HD file is
actually Helvetica . . .?

(All this in Mathematica 4.0, Mac PB G3, OS 8.6.)