Re: Serious bug in MatchQ causes crashes and incorrect results

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28325] Re: Serious bug in MatchQ causes crashes and incorrect results
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:01:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> The reason I use 'Abort[]' is to stop the Kernal from generating
> hundreds of useless error messages after I know something has failed.
> I have used it quite a bit on both the Mac and under Solaris with no
> problems.  I sometimes do use 'Throw[]'.

I still can't understand how the functions are written. If
some test failed the function should terminate smooth with
some nice message.

> The file names are generally being entered manually, not returned by
> 'FileNames[]' so they do need to be checked.

And a

getFile[fname_String] /;

> The approach of checking
> argument patterns and aborting if they don't match came out of
> difficulty in defining both complex patterns and default values for the
> arguments.  I still don't understand the syntax for some of the
> suggested solutions.  If I could define complex patterns with default
> arguments could I then define a version of the function to match all
> invalid argument patterns such as:
>
> getFile[___]:= CompoundExpression[Message[]; Throw[]/Abort[] ];  ?
>
>                                 -Jeff DuMonthier

What is so complicate to define a function
like

getFile[]:=getFile["someSupidFilename.dat"]
getFile[fname_String]/; StringMatchQ[fname,"*.dat"]:=Print["Filename:
",fname]

or what is so difficult to make a test like

getFile[fname_String, filepatt_, dirs_:{$HomeDirectory}] :=
  Module[{flst},
    flst =
      Select[FileNames[filepatt, dirs], StringMatchQ[#, "*" <> fname]
&];
    If[flst === {},
      Message[getfile::notfound, fname];
      Return[$Failed]
      ];
    ByteCount /. FileInformation[fname]
    ]

Can you tell me "what" you don't understand ?

Regards
  Jens