Re: Mapping a scalar against a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28406] Re: [mg28393] Mapping a scalar against a list
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It seems to me that this is one of those problems solutions to which can be
multiplied ad infinitum. Here is just one attempt:

In[1]:=
MyMap[f_, {a_, l_List}] := f @@@ (Hold[a, #] & /@ l)

In[2]:=
{a, l, f} = {"dog", {"dog", "cat", "mouse"}, f = StringMatchQ};

In[3]:=
MyMap[f, {a, l}]

Out[3]=
{True, False, False}

Hold as such plays no role here, you could replace it by lots of other
reasonable things.

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University