Re: Mapping a scalar against a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28400] Re: Mapping a scalar against a list
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:28:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mark,

We can ignore, or turn off, the message generated below.

In[6]:=
Thread[StringMatchQ["ab",{"aab", "bb", "ab"}]]

StringMatchQ::string: String expected at position 2 in \
StringMatchQ[ab,{aab,bb,ab}].

Out[6]=
{False,False,True}

Here's another way of avoiding the message:

In[7]:=
Block[{StringMatchQ},Thread[StringMatchQ["ab",{"aab", "bb", "ab"}]]
  ]

Out[7]=
{False,False,True}

--