Re: inum error from NIntegrate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28396] Re: inum error from NIntegrate?
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:28:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is not an isolated problem, it also occurs with some other functions,
for example Plot.
The following demonstrates the problem and its solution

lst= {x,x^2};
NIntegrate[{x,x^2}, {x,0,1}]

        {0.5,0.333333}

NIntegrate[lst, {x,0,1}]

        NIntegrate::inum: Integrand {0.5,0.25} is not numerical at {x} =
{0.5}.

        NIntegrate[lst,{x,0,1}]

What happens is that NIntegrate looks at   lst   before it is evaluated
(NIntgegrate has attribute HoldAll), finds that it is not a list and then
works on the assumption that   lst   will become numerical when x is
numerical:
this is false -- it becomes a *list* of two numbers.
The solution is to make   lst   evaluate before NIntegrates inspects its
integrand

NIntegrate[Evaluate[lst], {x,0,1}]

        {0.5,0.333333}

The problem does not arise with Integrate, which evaluates   lst   before
inspecting it.

Integrate[lst, {x,0,1}]

        {1/2, 1/3}

The same kind of problem arises with other functions that hold their
entries, for example Plot: compare

Plot[lst,{x,0,1}];

Plot[Evaluate[lst],{x,0,1}];

--