  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28434] Rearrangement of a sequence into random order
  • From: "Loren Dill" <lorendill at mediaone.net>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:23:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm a math teacher, and need to prepare exams from time to time.  I
typically prepare questions for the exam in a sequential order starting at
the beginning of the material and going to the end.  I may have something
like 20 short-answer questions.  I want a program that will randomize the
order of the questions.  In other words, I want to provide n, the number of
questions, and have the program provide a list of length n that contains all
the numbers from 1 to n in a random order without any number being repeated
or omitted.  I'm sure that this is an easy task for Mathematica, but I can't
figure out the best way to do it.

Loren Dill